Friday, February 8, 2008

New works from Shirin Neshat

In July, 2001, under a scorching sun, I travelled around Iran. I had to wear a head scarf and I had to cover most of my body as Muslim women do. At the begenning of my trip I felt sorry for the women I saw, but I soon realized that they found ways to express themselves and add some color to their lives. Occasionally, at a cafe, I could catch a glimpse of pretty and colorful clothes worn by a woman under the head-to-toe black hijab, and some women painted their fingernails or toe nails.
With those memories in mind, I found the show at the Gladstone Gallery by the artist, Shirin Neshat who was born in Iran to be extremely moving. Her video installation is based on the novel Women without Men by Shahrnush Parsipur which is about women in Iran. I look forward to reading this book.

1 comment:

redbag said...

혼자있을때 더더욱 물안개처럼 일어나는 그때의 시간들...그녀들의 뒷모습만 봐도 훅한 더운공기의 그때가 가슴을 멍먹하게 만든다