Sunday, February 3, 2008

To Have or to Be?


To Have or to Be
By Erich Fromm
The Importance of the Difference between Having and Being

For an M.F.A. group show, I have to exhibit objects and books that inspired my works or are related to it. But since my work is about searching for an inner world that cannot be easily represent in the visible world, it was a bit hard to choose objects.
The moments of awakening that I have experienced cannot be recreated in a gallery. Because such experience are invisible and cannot be touched.

"The words point to an experience; they are not the experience. The moment that I express what I experience exclusively in thought and words, the experience has gone: it has dried up, is dead, a mere thought. Hence being is indescribable in words and is communicable only by sharing my experience."


Erich Fromm Interview Excerpt from YouTube

1 comment:

Elena Sto said...

i love his work. his "Psychoanalysis and Zen Buddhism" helped me understand the Japanese society a lot more, and how it implemented in modern Japanese art. everything has its roots :-) uh... and his other books... just wonderful...